Health For All Youth Homeless
According to National Conference of State Legislatives they’re an estimated 4.2 million youth and young adults experience homelessness, of which 700,000 are unaccompanied minors, meaning they are not part of a family or accompanied by a parent or guardian. On any given night, approximately 41,000 unaccompanied youth ages 13-25 experience homelessness. Many factors increase a young person’s odds of experiencing homelessness. Demographic risk factors for becoming homeless include being Hispanic or black; parenting and unmarried; or LGBTQ, with LGBTQ youth having more than twice the risk of being homeless than their cisgender or heterosexual peers.
One in 10 young adults ages 18-25, and at least one in 30 adolescents ages 13-17, experience some form of homelessness unaccompanied by a parent or guardian over the course of a year.
- 29% of homeless youth report having substance misuse problems.
- 69% of homeless youth report mental health problems.
- 33% had once been part of the foster care system.
- 50% of homeless youth have been in the juvenile justice system, in jail or detention.
- 27% of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQ) youth who are homeless reported exchanging sex for basic needs compared to 9% of non-LGBTQ youth who reported having to exchange sex for basic needs.
- 62% of LGBTQ youth report being physically harmed while experiencing homelessness while 47% of non-LGBTQ youth reported being physically harmed while homeless.
- The lack of a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is the number one correlate for elevated risk of youth homelessness.
HCRFF is the first Civil Society Organization who is a Committee Member of UN NGO Working Group to End Homeless in Florida; our goal is to enroll Youth towards our Health For All Youth Homeless.
Ending Homeless & The SDG’s Guide
Connect To Community Food Distribution Kits
Our Donation Wish List
- Tooth Brush
- Tooth Paste
- Dental Floss
- Cortisone Cream
- Cotton Swabs
- Nail Clippers
- Baby Wipes
- Thick Socks
- Feminine hygiene products
- Anti-diarrhea tablets